Thursday, March 7, 2013

I have returned.
And I built my own art table in the mean time.
 
I have put more attention on my facebook art page and updating my website than this blog lately.  Other life changes have also kept me busy.  But I am still painting and up to other projects, including this one.
 
I will be moving to Boston in the near future, so when thinking about this and not knowing what size studio space I will have, I wanted to have an art table that is space efficient.  Since I am never drawing and painting at the same time, a fold away table makes perfect sense.  However, I couldn't find just the kind of table I wanted.  The best thing I could find were drafting tables, but they still take up quite a bit of space because of their footing.  I designed this table to mount to a wall so that it doesn't need a wide base.  The legs fold away and the table comes down to just 4.75" off the wall.  The table is recycled from an old cherry dining room table.  After much designing, gluing, sawing, drilling, measuring, sanding, sanding, sanding, and a protective clear polyurethane (followed by more sanding), here is the result.  I wanted the wood to have a raw, natural quality to relate to the raw materials that all art begins with.  As I sit down to use this table I will be reminded of the beauty of beginnings.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment